Update Tuesday 11th September 2018
In a previous release, we indicated our intention to continue to inform you of developments regarding the closure of the 2nd section of the Aiguille du Midi cable-cars as the expert reports & work progress.
Over the past few days a work group made up of our Aiguille du Midi technicians, the technical director of the Compagnie du Mont-Blanc & various sub-contractors (DCSA, Garaventa, Fatzer…) to make a full enquiry to determine the reasons for the defects detected on the tractor cabe of the 2nd Aiguille du Midi cable-car.
On going to press, this technical diagnosis, in close collaboration with the state certification authorities, is underway & we are already certain that the tractor cable must be changed.
As a result, we must inform you that access to the summit of the Aiguille du Midi is closed to the public throughout this autumn in order to permit all work necessary to change the cable. At the present moment with the elements of the diagnosis in our possession, the reopening is planned for December 2018.
The first cable-car between Chamonix & the Plan de l’Aiguille will remain open until further notice.
During this period, access to a viewpoint of the Mont-Blanc range is maintained by the opening of the Flégère cable-car in the village of Les Praz (2km from Chamonix town centre, in the direction of Argentière, Col des Montets, Switzerland).
Please be informed that the “MONT-BLANC Multipass” of 2 to 21 days will be accepted by the “Skyway” (Courmayeur, Italy) lift system until the complete re-opening of the Aiguille du Midi lift system.
This is in addition to the access granted to “MONT-BLANC Multipass” season passes & “MONT-BLANC Unlimited” annual passes as previously announced.
Chamonix, 25 August 2018
Following the weekly inspection done on the new tractor cable of the 2nd section of Aiguille du Midi cable car, changed in July 2018, the CMB have unfortunately identified this evening a similar defect on the same cable to that found last May, which we were forced to replace at that time.
The CMB therefore decided, as a security measure, to close the 2nd section Plan de l'Aiguille - Aiguille du Midi
Advanced expertise will be conducted in the coming days by the cable supplier to determine the causes of this rapid degradation.
As a consequence, the second section of Plan Aiguille - Aiguille du Midi will be closed for several weeks.
The 1st section Chamonix-> Plan de L'Aiguille du Midi remains open to the public until further notice..
Chamonix.net will keep you informed as soon as possible.
The CMB has already decided to extend the opening of the Flégère cable car during the autumn period.