VerticAlp Emosson is a tourist attraction of the Chatelard Park (Switzerland), owned and operated by the municipality of Finhaut.
This tourist attraction is opened to public since 1975 and it is located very close to Chamonix valley, at about 19 km distance.
VerticAlp Emosson is accessible:
- by car: from Chamonix, through the Col des Montets Tunnel (20km distance in 30 min) and Martigny, by the Col of Forclaz (25km distance in 35 min).
- by bus: with TMR (from June 20 to September 20) from Martigny, to col de la Forclaz and Finhaut (Switzerland) and from Chamonix to Vallorcine and Chatelard.
- by train: with the Mont Blanc Express: St Gervais / Le Fayet - Chamonix - Chatelard - Martigny, from Chamonix (1 hour) and from Martigny (30 minutes).
VerticAlp Emosson is situated in the heart of the Espace Mont Blanc. This construction takes you from Châtelard, a village in the Trient Valley, to the top of Emosson Dam (1,965m altitude), the second-largest water reservoir in Switzerland and the Col of Gueulaz.
On site, you can use any of the many marked trails to the Vieux-Emosson Dam or just enjoy the countryside of this remarkable natural site.
Discover three attractions on unique railways!
VerticAlp Emosson operates three amazing systems on rails forming a tourist park which offers you a spectacular and unforgettable experience.
The Châtelard Funicular, The Panoramic Train and the Minifunicular make possible your trip in Mont Blanc massif.
There is also the VerticAlp Café, where you can take a break for a moment of relaxation. With spaces dedicated to children, at Les Montuires you can enjoy the local flavors with your family and friends.
Here, throughout the summer you can experience many events like the Tour de France, the Cosmojazz Festival, themed evenings: VerticAlpéro, fondue evening, concerts and many other surprises.
Click on the rows below to find out more info.
1. The Châtelard Funicular
Built in 1919, the Châtelard Funicular is the fastest funicular in the world.
- The Châtelard Funicular connects the village of Châtelard (1,122m) to Montuires (1,822m), passing through the village of Giétroz (1,357m).
- Departure point of your adventure, has two new panoramic carriages, which takes you on an amazing vertical trip, with a maximum slope of 87%.
|Le Châtelard 1,125m|
|Arrival||Les Montuires 1,825m|
|Journey time||10 minutes|
|Track gauge||1000 mm|
2. The Panoramic Train
Built in 1975, is the second section of the Châtelard Park.
- On a track winding up a mountainside, the train takes you through forests and tunnels to the foot of Emosson Dam.
- The panoramic train offers magnificent views of the entire Mont-Blanc massif while overlooking the deep Bouqui Canyon.
|Departure||Les Montuires 1,825m|
|Arrival||Foot of Emosson dam 1,815m|
|Journey time||10 minutes|
|Slope max||1,46 %|
3. The Minifunicular
In 1991, the Minifunicular replaced the Monorail trolley.
- The Minifunicular connects the Dam Foot station (1,812m) to Émosson Lake station (1,962m).
- Two-carriage system takes you to the open Emosson heights overlooking the lake.
|Departure||Foot of Emosson Dam 1,815m|
|Arrival||Lake Emosson 1,965m|
|Journey time||2 minutes|
|Slope max||73 %|