The route/track starts from either the Prarion gondola or from the Bellevue lift. Skiers should follow the red panels and signs that indicate where to go. In the first 200m D+ the track travels very close to the ski slopes, but once past the Maison Neuve, the trail veers to the right and joins the route of the famous UTMB running race. From here the trail enters more natural terrain and skiers will feel they are on a proper ski tour.
Once on the path, skiers with eventually pass the Vielles Luges. Roughly 200m D+ above the restaurant skiers will have two options:
1. Skier’s right will lead to a long flat section of trail before veering left to a final steep section that leads to the summit of the Prarion Gondola.
2. Skier’s left stays close to the ski slope and after 100 meters turns right into the forest into a beautiful section of trail through alpine timber.
Both tracks eventually meet before the final steep section that leads to the Prarion Gondola. This section can be very technical and quite steep - but its great practice for more difficult ski tours and a lot of fun!
Les Houches Ski Touring track:
- Start: Prarion Gondla or Bellevue Cablecar
- Finish: Top of the Prarion Gondola
- Estimated time: 1 to 2 hours
- Descent: Return via the Prarion Gondola or ski down through the main ski area.
- Safety: This route has a very low risk of avalanche, but always bring a cell phone programmed with the number of the PGHM (+33 (0)4 50 53 16 89).