The Chamonix Alpine Museum is situated in the centre of town, in the Chamonix-Palace. Not as big as it seems from the outside, representing only the first two floors of the magnificent palace, but spacious enough to host some exceptional collections of print artworks created from the late 18th to the early 20th century.
Situated in the old "Chamonix Palace" (the first of three palaces which were built in Chamonix at the beginning of the 20th century), The Chamonix Alpine museum provides an accurate and interesting history of the valley.
On two floors, there is a fascinating range of exhibits covering the geological and human history of Chamonix.
The first floor gives an overview of the history of mountaineering and winter sports in the area.
You could spend a couple of hours in there easily discovering some interesting histories of the women and men who first climbed Mont Blanc in the late 18th centuries. A precious collection of books, maps used by the first alpine mountaineers can be also found at the museum... even some personal diaries in which the mountaineers had shared their thoughts during expeditions.
The second floor mainly consists of a great selection of Alpine paintings. A large collection of paintings which varies from amateur to some stunning attempts at capturing the atmosphere of the mountains deserving of closer inspection.
All paintings are a history book in themselves, spotlighting the growth and development of the valley over more than a century.
The Alpine Museum is a must-see for everyone who is passionate about culture, history and beauty in general, but also for those who are in love with everything related to Chamonix and Mont-Blanc.
News Alpine Museum:
Between autumn 2018 and spring 2021, an important renovation project will take place at the Alpine Museum in Chamonix. Therefore, during this period it will not be possible to visit the museum.
This cultural institution, managed since 1969 by the Amis du Vieux Chamonix association, is getting older: the windows must be replaced, a lift must be installed for the access of people with reduced mobility and the floors upstairs changed.
Update COVID-19! The Alpine Museum will be open to individuals only, from 11 June 2020.
No groups allowed at the moment!
From 01/09 to 16/10/2020 between 2 pm and 5.30 pm. Closed on Tuesday.
European Heritage Days : September 19th and 20th open from 10am to 12am / 2pm to 6pm.
From 17/10 to 02/11/2020, daily between 10 am and 12 pm and between 2 pm and 6 pm.
In order to visit the museum in the best conditions possible the health precautions are :
limited number of visitors to 40 people in the museum;
washing your hands at the entrance is mandatory;
wearing a mask is mandatory from 11 years old;
one-way visit of the museum;
shop currently closed.
Standard ticket (Adults): € 6
Reduced ticket: €4.70 (Reduced fare upon presentation of the voucher: Guest card, resident, seasonal, senior, student, local, large family, disabled)
Free admission for visitors under 18 (museum visits in the family)
Visits in a group (min 15 persons under reservations): Adults: €4.70. Children: €2.50. Free for group guides.
Group rate available for > 10 people.
Annual Museum Pass: €12
You can buy an annual museum pass for all the museums (Espace Tarraiz, Alpine Museum, Maison de la Memoire du Patrimoine in Chamonix, Montagnard Museum in Les Houches, Maison du Lieutenant in Servoz and Maison de Barberine in Vallorcine) which allows you unlimited access for 1 year.
For sale at the entrance of the museums; bring your ViaCham card and an ID photo.
Facilities and services:
- Education visits;
- Themed tour;
- Guided tours;
Permanent Collections & Summer Programme:
- "HERITAGES OF MONT-BLANC": The Alpine museum invites you to discover the historical and artistic heritage of the Mont Blanc area. The permanent exhibition invites you to travel in the history of the Chamonix valley, with the beginnings mountaineering and the conquest of Mont Blanc, great scientific adventures at an altitude of 4000 m, the creation of winter and summer sports, the transformations of the valley with tourism development ... and invites you to contemplation in front of an artistic selection dedicated this year to the Mer de Glace.
- "HERITAGES OF MONT-BLANC". French Guided Visit. 6 July, 13 July, 20 July, 3 August, 10 August, 24 August, 31 August, from 4.00 pm.
- "HERITAGES OF MONT-BLANC". English Guided Visit. 15 July, 22 July, 29 July, 5 August, 12 August, 19 August & 26 August, from 4.00 pm.
- "TRAVEL IN PICTURES". 3 July & 28 August 2020, from 10.30 am.
- Temporary paintings - Land'Art". 10 July 2020, 10.30 am.
- "A sea like no other". 17 July & 21 August, from 10.30 am.
- "Who is who in Chamonix?". 24 July & 14 August, from 10.30 am.
- "Tell me about mountaineering" (animation). 31 July & 7 August, from 10.30 am.
- DESTINATION CHAMONIX". Guided visit. 27 July & 17 August, from 4.00 pm.
- "Selfie rally: Objective 7 places". Independent animation.
- "Mule heads!". Independent animation.
- "Tales told". Podcasts. Comfortably installed, cooking, walking ... each week a new episode from the catalogue "Museums, heritage: The collections are revealed".
- The collections: Founded at the end of the 19th century, the museum safeguards and promotes more than 11,000 18th century collectables in the middle of the 20th century. The Alpine museum preparing its renovation, the selection of works presented may evolve according to restoration work undertaken and the arrival of new parts.
- Discover online collections! In April 2020, the first digital platform for the dissemination of mountain museum collections was launched: mountainmuseums.org. Thanks to mountainmuseums.org, discover the Alpine heritage!
Reservations need to be made until the day before the activity, until 5 pm.
Reservations can be made at 04.50.55.29.46 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Check the pdf of the schedule.
Check all events in Chamonix.
Tel 04 50 55 29 46
Nearest bus stop: Place du Mont-Blanc / Mummery. Mulet stop: Michel Croz.
Nearest train stop: Chamonix Centre train station.
Nearest car park: Mont-Blanc and Poilu car parks (paid parking).