The Ultra Trail of the Mont Blanc starts in Chamonix, on the French side of Mont-Blanc. This part of the circuit is the friendliest: beautiful valleys, forest paths, mellow curves and an incomparable flora.
Then, a balcony-style path unveils the Italian side. This part of the trail is bordered by a fierce and dark rock face, bristling with peaks. After the Italian Val Ferret, the Swiss Val Ferret offers a return to a friendlier view of the mountains.
The Mont-Blanc area, a unique and genuine region, invites you, in the course of this hike, to discovery its varied and majestic scenery. You will be astonished with the impressive massif of the Mont-Blanc, omnipresent in front of your gaze throughout the circuit.
Committing oneself, to running around Mont-Blanc, is above all to experience an internal adventure, an unique experience where each participant will have to draw from their strengths and push their mental and physical limits in order to cross the finishing line.
This extraordinary trip at the heart of the massif will permit trail-runners to cross through seven valleys, over 71 glaciers and 400 summits, in an alpine décor which is unique in the world.
Many concerts and festivals will take place in the town of Chamonix! Check the 2022 Agenda
The Competitions of the Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc (UTMB)
Four individual races
- The UTMB (Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc): around 171 km with about 10,000 metres of height gain, starts from Chamonix, in semi-autonomy and in 46:30 hours maximum.
- The CCC (Courmayeur-Champex-Chamonix): around 101 km with about 6,100 metres height gain, starts from Courmayeur, in semi-autonomy and in 26:30 hours maximum.
- The TDS (Sur les Traces des Ducs de Savoie): around 145 km with about 9,100 metres height gain, starts from Courmayeur, in semi-autonomy and in 44:00 hours maximum.
- The OCC (Orsières-Champex-Chamonix): around 56 km for about 3,500 metres of height gain, starts from Orsières, in semi-autonomy within a maximum of 14:30 hours.
A race for teams
- The PTL (La Petite Trotte à Léon): this event is appreciably different from the 4 other events and has its own regulations.
- The MCC (From Martigny-Combe to Chamonix) around 40 km for about 2300 metres of height gain, starts from Martigny-Combe, in semi-autonomy and in 10 hours max.
Races dedicated to young people
- The YCC (Youth Chamonix Courmayeur) : a sporting challenge for the young aged 16 – 22 years, born between 1999 and 2007, consisting of a prologue in Chamonix on Tuesday of the event week, at the end of the afternoon, and a 5 to 15 km race (depending on the category) in Courmayeur the following day. Around 300 runners. This race has its own regulations.
- The ETC : around 15km and about 1300 meters elevation gain, starts from Courmayeur, in semi-autonomy. Cut-off time for finishing is 4 hrs. The race is reserved for runners 23 years and older.
- The MINI UTMB for children 3-13 years of age.
How to choose your race, more info click here.
To volunteer your assistance with race management, check here
For the rules of the UTMB, check here
For the 2023 registrations, check here
For transports, check here
For accomodation, check here
For supporters, check here
Even if you are not a racer, come and cheer on these courageous athletes.
For up to the minute info, please visit the official Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc (UTMB) website : www.utmbmontblanc.com