The Ultra Trail of the Mont Blanc starts in Chamonix, on the French side of Mont-Blanc. This part of the circuit is the friendliest: beautiful valleys, forest paths, mellow curves and an incomparable flora.
Then, a balcony-style path unveils the Italian side. This part of the trail is bordered by a fierce and dark rock face, bristling with peaks. After the Italian Val Ferret, the Swiss Val Ferret offers a return to a friendlier view of the mountains.
The Mont-Blanc area, a unique and genuine region, invites you, in the course of this hike, to discovery its varied and majestic scenery. You will be astonished with the impressive massif of the Mont-Blanc, omnipresent in front of your gaze throughout the circuit.
Committing oneself, to running around Mont-Blanc, is above all to experience an internal adventure, an unique experience where each participant will have to draw from their strengths and push their mental and physical limits in order to cross the finishing line.
This extraordinary trip at the heart of the massif will permit trail-runners to cross through seven valleys, over 71 glaciers and 400 summits, in an alpine décor which is unique in the world.
Many concerts and festivals will take place in the town of Chamonix!
The Competitions of the Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc (UTMB)
Four individual races
- The UTMB (Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc): around 171 km with about 10,000 metres of height gain, starts from Chamonix, in semi-autonomy and in 46:30 hours maximum.
- The CCC (Courmayeur-Champex-Chamonix): around 101 km with about 6,100 metres height gain, starts from Courmayeur, in semi-autonomy and in 26:30 hours maximum.
- The TDS (Sur les Traces des Ducs de Savoie): around 119 km with about 7,200 metres height gain, starts from Courmayeur, in semi-autonomy and in 33:00 hours maximum.
- The OCC (Orsières-Champex-Chamonix): around 56 km for about 3,500 metres of height gain, starts from Orsières, in semi-autonomy within a maximum of 14:30 hours.
A race for teams
- The PTL (La Petite Trotte à Léon): this event is appreciably different from the 4 other events and has its own regulations.
Two races dedicated to young people
- The YCC (Youth Chamonix Courmayeu) : this event is reserved for the young and has its own regulations.
The Youth Chamonix Courmayeur, is a sporting challenge for the young aged 16 – 22 years, combining a prologue in Chamonix on Tuesday 29th August, at the end of the afternoon and a 15km event with an ascent of around 1200m in Courmayeur on Wednesday 30th August.
- The MINI UTMB for children 14-15 years of age: the Kids' Madness.
To volunteer your assistance with race management, check here
For the rules of the UTMB, check here
For the 2018 registrations, check here
For useful documents check here
For transports, check here
For accomodation, check here
For supporters, check here
Even if you are not a racer, come and cheer on these courageous athletes.
For up to the minute info, please visit the official Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc (UTMB) website : www.utmbmontblanc.com