Supposedly the only via ferrata facing Mont-Blanc, the Via Ferrata De Curalla is a combination of hiking and climbing, practised on a cliff, that should take between 1h30m and 2h.
Located only 30 min away of driving distance from Chamonix-Mont-Blanc, the Via Ferrata de Curalla offers breathtaking views of the Mont-Blanc massif.
The Via Ferrata De Curalla is graded AD+, which can be translated as intermediate. The French use a 6-grade system to rate the via ferrata routes, in terms of difficulty: F (facile), PD (little difficult), AD (quite difficult), D (difficult), TD (very difficult) & ED (extremely difficult).
The Via Ferrata de Curalla is on a limestone cliff, south-facing underneath the Aiguille du Varan (2,544 m or 8,346 ft). Although not considered very difficult, this route is not for beginners or the faint-hearted. The 500 m (1,640 ft) path varies from several short escalations to footbridges of cable and wood beams.
Via Ferrata de Curalla Conditions & Tips:
- Minimum height: 1.5 m or 4ft 11";
- For children from 12 years old;
- Inexperienced adults and unaccompanied minors are not allowed;
- Do not go to the Via Ferrata de Curalla on bad weather days;
- The Via Ferrata is an autonomous route - do it under your own responsibility;
- Professional services are recommended;
- Self-belaying / confirmed climber: using the belaying equipment by a single person while rock climbing or mountaineering;
- Continuous use of the karabiners linked onto the cable and on to the rungs in the vertical parts;
- Double lanyard with shock absorber is mandatory;
- Death hazard in the event of a fall without a lanyard absorber;
- Only 1 person between two anchors;
- Pass the rope inside the spits (cable anchors) as well as using the self belaying rope sections with shock-absorber. At all times, each climber should be clipped onto the cable and onto the rungs in the vertical parts;
- The route is in full sunshine, so remember to bring enough water.
- 1 harness;
- 2 rope sections with shock-absorber;
- 2 wide-opened auto-locking-gate karabiners;
- 1 helmet.
The Via Ferrata de Curalla Numbers:
- Altitude of Departure: 1,250 m or 4,101 ft;
- Car park altitude: 1,060 m or 3,477 ft;
- Arrival altitude: 1,420 m or 4,658 ft;
- Lenght of the via ferrata: 500 m or 1,640 ft;
- Elevation gain: 180 m or 590 ft;
- Round-trip timing: 1h30m - 2h;
- Access: 20 min;
- Return timing: 45 min.
Via Ferrata de Curalla Access
The starting point is at the car parking, where you can find plenty of room to park your car. There is also a buvette (snack bar), where you can find water, snacks, you can rent equipment and even hire a via ferrata guide.
From the buvette, there is a 20-minute hike uphill to the Via Ferrata de Curalla.
The Via Ferrata should take around 1h 30m - 2h. When you're done, an easy path takes you back to the starting point in around 40 minutes, where you can cool off at the snack bar.
PASSY TOURIST OFFICE
Mountain Store 170 avenue Léman Mont-Blanc 74190 Passy
All year-round, Monday to Saturday, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Phone. 33 (0) 4 50 58 80;